Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Big Man, Gentle Heart: Mike Lowe

Yesterday, a gentle spirit left the earth to find his home with the Lord and Savior he served.  

I had the great honor to work with Mike Lowe for four years from 2007 till 2010. I could spend hours telling you hundreds of funny stories about Mike, and the power of his indestructible spirit. Every once in a while you meet someone who is utterly unique in their faith, filled with vast quantities of love, and who shine with a  joyous spirit born of their faith, and love.  Mike had faith, and love in abundance.  It is impossible to relate Mike's faith and love without injecting myself into his story, because his faith, and love shaped much of who I am today.  

From the very first minute I met Mike, he called me Mr. Bragg.  It never wavered even to the end of his life. We bumped into each other the other day while at a local grocery store.  I was at the register, and I felt this big hand grab my shoulder and a familiar voice: "Hey, Mr. Bragg.  How are you doing?"  I turned around and got pulled into a big bear hug.  We slapped each other's backs and that was when I felt something on his chest. "What's this I asked?"  It's a heart monitor, they found I had an irregular heartbeat.  They think I might need a pacemaker."  I guess I gasped because he immediately said; "Don't worry, Mr. Bragg.  How's Glenda?"  

That was typical Mike.  He could be in the midst of a crisis, and he was always thinking about others.  One day about two weeks ago I was going through a particularly bad day, and was feeling down.  Suddenly I get this phone call while shopping with Glenda: "Hey, Mr. Bragg, how are you doing?  The Holy Spirit put you on my heart this morning and told me to pray for you.  Is everything alright?"  I told him about a new situation with Glenda's medicines, and how I was feeling so inadequate as her caregiver." 

There was a long pause and then his sweet melodic voice said; "The Lord told me to tell you, you're doing just fine.  Keep on loving her."  It would be an understatement to say I lost it.  Typical Mike, listening to Holy Spirit even when he'd just been diagnosed with irregular heart rhythm.

Mike was a virtuous man, who gave honor to everyone.  I only saw him raise his voice to others twice in four years of working with him.  He was patient, and a marvelous teacher.  I thought I knew how to do framing until I met him.  He showed me stuff that has helped me throughout the years, and he did it with infinite patience, and joy. Mike was a physically imposing figure, but tender and soft of heart. He was clumsy, whimsical, and always filled with joy. He was a mighty man of faith who listened to the Lord for even small everyday tasks.  Anytime he had an accident (which was often) he would say; "The Lord, told me not to do that.  I should have listened."  He would often make major life corrections based upon what he heard from the Lord.  At first I would question those decisions because they seemed crazy, but eventually I would see God do wondrous things I never expected.

After the housing market collapsed in 2009, we parted ways and I went into the handyman business.  Our paths often crossed during citywide church events and we'd pick right up where we'd left off.  He would deliberately drive by my house to see if I was out in the yard working and we'd spend a couple of hours talking about the Lord.  If he saw my truck somewhere on a job, he would stop in to visit.  "How are you, Mr. Bragg?  The Lord told me I needed to see you."  And,...he was right everytime.  

Mike was a big fat, joyous sparrow, who loved to live in the shadow of El Shadai. He exuded peace, faith, and love.  At 52 years of age, he was much too young to pass this vale.  I think his big ol' heart just gave out because he'd given so much of it away to others over the years.  I'll never meet another man like Mike.  No one will ever greet me with the respect, and humility that he lavished upon me.  There will be a Mike sized hole in my heart till I meet him again in heaven.  Then we'll hang out in the rafters of the temple together and marvel at the wonders of God.  


No comments:

Post a Comment